The internship program at Bird TLC provides a unique opportunity to gain experience in the care of sick, injured, and orphaned wild birds. We are currently seeking 3 interns for the 2020 summer season.
This internship provides a unique opportunity to gain experience at a facility that treats a variety of birds from songbirds to raptors. During this internship, interns will work with the staff and volunteer veterinarians to learn a wide range of skills until they are able to work independently. Interns will assist with the daily care of patients, including cleaning, feeding, intake, and routine exams; training and working with volunteers; interacting with the public and bird rescue.
During the breeding season, many of these birds are nestlings and fledglings that have been orphaned. They require an intense amount of care that includes handfeeding from dawn to dusk, medical treatment, cleaning, enrichment and other tasks that prepare them for wild.
This is a hands-on internship in a fast paced environment. Ideal applicants will be able to efficiently multi-task while following BTLC protocols.
· Must be 18 years of age.
· Able to work 40 hours each week. Shifts will vary from 6 am-2 pm, 8 am-4 pm or 12pm-8 pm.
· Must have or be working toward a degree or career in Biology, Environmental Science, Wildlife Conservation or equivalent.
· Previous rehabilitation experience a plus, but not a requirement.
· A willingness to learn and a strong interest in wildlife rehabilitation as a career.
· Must be hard working, motivated, and not afraid to get your hands dirty, while keeping a positive attitude.
· Must acknowledge, understand, and accept the use of humane euthanasia in a rehabilitative setting.
· Must be comfortable with using dead quails, rodents, and fish as a food source for patients and permanent residents.
No accommodation is currently available but basic housing MAY will be provided for the duration of the internship in a motorhome on Bird TLC property. In this case, you be sharing a small space with 2 or 3 other interns. Interns are responsible for transportation which is necessary due to remote location of clinic.
Bird TLC is located in South Anchorage, Alaska.
This is an unpaid, educational internship. Interns may coordinate with their current college or university to earn educational credit for their experience.
Length of Term:
Internships must be a minimum of 3 months but not exceed 6 months. Internships start mid-end of May 2020. Application deadline is March 31st 2020. Start and end dates can be somewhat flexible.
If interested please email our Avian Rehabilitation Coordinator, Amy Kilshaw- email@example.com for an application form.